Safe Inset is a simple Inset tool that can inset a face without overlapping.
The above one is Inset by Safe Inset
The below one is Inset by Blender's built-in Inset tool.
Unlike Blender's built-in inset, Safe Inset can detect and avoid overlapping.
It works for very complex n-gon face.
This tool is useful for general modeling and many use case. It works great for Sci-Fi shape and hard surface modeling.
Switch to Edit mode, Face mode
Select a face, then right click in the 3D viewport,
Select Safe Inset at the bottom of the blender's context-menu.
Inset Size : the amount to inset
Threshold : this is the minimum size to determine "overlapping".
Merge Result : when this option is enabled, it will merge the result vertices that are very close.
Merge Distance : the distance for merging
Version 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, 2.0.4
- Fixed a bug for calculation
- Using a new algorithm and largely improved the robustness !
- Now it works for very complicated face and no overlapping.
- Now the Inset face in the result will be selected
- Fixed a small bug for speed and smoothness
- Largely improved the algorithm. Now produce better result (correct edge offset) and more stable.
- Fixed a bug when all vertices become one point.
This is a free addon ! Hope you enjoy it :)
Twitter : https://twitter.com/kushirosea