Grid Modeler is a convenient tool to create 3D model easily.
Grid Modeler let you Boolean Cut by drawn shape or Create mesh on top of each other. It is a new modeling workflow in blender. It is proven and very efficient.
- Boolean Cut
- Create new faces
- Boolean Slicing
- Powerful Shape functions
- Advanced Grid System
- Construction Lines
- Create Pipes
Grids are very precise and easy to use. You can orient your grid plane by any directions. It is designed to be an very advanced grid system.
Table of content
- About Grid Modeler
- Known Issues and Limitation
- Usage guide
- Useful Tips
- Hardware support
- Contacts and Support
About Grid Modeler
Grid Modeler is designed for speed modeling.
If you want to create :
- Quick static objects for game, background things, buildings
- Sword, shield, armor, when consistent scales and angles are needed
- Sci-fi, spaceship, robots, weapons, hard surface solid things
Then, Grid Modeler will become your helpful tool in blender.
Also, if you used Google Sketchup, Fusion360 or other CAD software before, you may feel that Grid Modeler is familiar. They have some similar concept and advantages.
For background story and design concept of Grid Modeler,
please visit my website : https://www.kushirocg.com
- Added support for Blender 3.2.0. (there is some changes in the key-input event handling in blender 3.2)
- Fixed a bug for Alt + N (mirror all shapes horizontally)
- Now you can delete the selected shape by macbook's delete key! (works for backspace key)
- Fixed a small bug for the menu of Add Object tool (6 key).Now the menu is more stable
This is a major update !
- Now ngon-fill and triangles-fill are merged into 1 key (with option for triangles-fill)
- 2 key is assigned for a new function : Line Art !
- Line Art function create very thin line-faces. It can be used with Edge Shader to create Line based render easily !
- I published a Basic Edge Shader for free, it can be used with the new Line Art function !
- If you want to use it in game model, you can just bake it (Emit / Color only baking without light info)
Basic Edge Shader (free) :
- Fixed a bug for Alt + M (mirror everything).
When using selection mode, you can press Alt + M to mirror copy all shapes.
The mirror copy horizontal direction, which can be changed by Ctrl + Click.
- Fixed a bug for Left-Bottom Menu (there is a strange bug in blender menu system), changed to drop-down menu for better stability.
- Fixed a minor bug for Line Split (when using mirror modifier)
This is a major update.
- Now the Line Split function is powered by new code!
(Come from my another addon Face Cutter)
- It is more stable and more useful in many cases.
The Cut-though option can be enabled anytime and stable.
- Bug fix update
It fixed a grid bug occur on non-regular face
- Improved the P key , grid plane rotation
Now the size of the plane is stable when you rotate it by P key.
(before this update, the size always change and trouble)
This is a critical bug fix
- Fixed a bug for 5 key (Boolean slice). The bug is caused by recently updates.
This is a minor bug fix
- Fixed a bug for Mac keyboard support (Alt key + 7, 8 key, or [ ] key).
This bug is caused by Maya-keymap-support added in previous updates.
This is a special update.
- Added a "Outer height" setting in Boolean Cut menu.
When you draw a shape and then bool cut, the shape will be extruded and cut into your mesh. However, sometimes the grid plane is shifted / the face is not planar, the cut will be "inside" the mesh. This value increase the backward height of the cutter, so the cut will be 100% "from top to bottom".
This is a major update !
- Now the grid system is improved. The grid plane does not shift when resized / grids count changed !
- Grid plane is auto centered now!
- Fixed some bugs for Global Alignment (F6 key). Now it correctly align to global axis when grid count is changed.
Version 1.22.3, 1.22.4:
This is a follow up bug fix :
- For "Industry Compatible" keymap, fixed the problem in Selection Mode
This is a special update :
- Now Grid Modeler is compatible to blender's "Industry Compatible" keymap ! (aka Maya keymap). Now if you use Maya keymap, you can hold Alt key to rotate the viewport without problem !
Version 1.22.0, 1.22.1:
This is a major update !
- Add a new "Global Alignment" mode ! (F6 key)
When using Global Alignment, the grids will be aligned to the global axis instead of face.
(if the face is not facing any axis, it will has no effect)
It can be very useful for scene modeling task.
Version 1.21.0, 1.21.1:
This is a major bug fix update.
This update improved the stability of the grid plane system.
It fixed some crash bugs (for P key plane rotation).
All users please update to this version.
This is a bug fix update.
- Fixed incorrect hint text.
- Fixed minor bug for Line Slice function (bug caused by construction lines).
- Fixed OpenGL drawing problem for blender 3.0.0 (opengl calls are removed)
Version 1.20.3, 1.20.4:
This is a powerful update for Add-Object tool !!
(1.20.4 fixed a rotation bug)
- Now you can draw "rectangle shape" to add object !
It will read the width + height from the rectangle for scale!
Just draw an rectangle, then press 6 key !
You can control the Z-scale in menu.
This update add extra features to Add Object tool :
- Now there are 3 axis Rotation, Scale and Offset. You can rotate it in any angle.
- There is Object Picker now.
- New "Linked Object" option. It is same as "Alt-D" copy of blender, linking the copied object. When you modify the object, the copies will be modified too!
This update add extra features to the last update!
- Now there are "Scale" and "Offset" option for Add Object tool !
You can scale and move the objects directly right in the option menu !
This is a Major Update !
- Now "Add Text" tool is upgraded and become "Add Object" !
You can add object at your drawn location !
1. You need to create a collection named "GM". Add your target objects into it.
2. Draw a line, press spacebar to finish then press 6 key.
3. Then you can choose which object to add !
- Fixed a minor bug (using new feature on Edge mode)
Version 1.19.0, 1.19.1, 1.19.2 :
This is a Major Update !
- Now you can use Boolean Intersection in boolean cut tool!
Just check the box "Intersection" in the Left-bottom panel.
- Now the "Line Split" tool is enhanced and re-designed !
Now it does not use Construction Lines. It use any normal white line ! Just draw and press Spacebar key to create line, then press 0 key to line cut !
- Now the Boolean Slice tool (5 key) has an option to slice the mesh without separate it. It is a very handy tool for creating details on surface (eg: sphere).
Version 1.18.8, 1.18.9 :
This is a bug fix update :
- Fixed a bug occur when using ngon cut, and some edges are overlapping
- Added extra keys for Macbook users.
Now you can use 7 key and 8 key for mouse-scroll actions. For example, when you want to change grid size, now you can use Ctrl + 7 or Ctrl + 8. Also to enlarge grid plane, you can use Alt + 7 and Alt + 8.
Version 1.18.5, 1.18.6, 1.18.7 :
This is a minor update!
- Now new circle has a center pivot point by default
- Now you can press L key to rotate the shape perpendicularly !!
1. Set one of the edge of the shape to be the alignment edge (Ctrl + Click on the edge)
2. Press L key to rotate
3. You can even rotate it by 5 degree using Ctrl + L key !
This is a minor update!
- Enhanced Edge Pipe Smoothing function ! It has much better smoothing result and easier to use !
- Smoothing now become an checkbox instead of value.
- Fixed a bug when using two vertices point for running Grid Modeler.
Known Issues and Limitation
1.This addon is a direct modeling tool, without modifiers. Boolean operation is destructive and apply directly. The resulting mesh is filled by blender's n-gon.
2. Overlapping shapes will cause strange geometry. However, you can overlap the shapes if you use "new face" mode, it will still create all shapes without problem.
3. This addon uses Blender's dissolve API, it is a bit unstable and it does not fill the faces correctly sometimes. (for n-gon and triangle fill modes)
This is a simple usage guideline of Grid Modeler.
Grid Modeler has many in-depth functions and advanced usage, please refer to documentation ( https://www.kushirocg.com/gridmodeler )
Simple guideline :
1. Select a face, or multiple faces (co-planar), run the tool by right click menu. (you may add it to Q menu for quick access).
2. You will see the grid lines. Your mouse cursor will auto snap to grid lines.
3. Ctrl + mouse wheel to adjust the grid size.
- You may choose between two size modes (A key), relative mode and absolute mode :
Relative mode :
Measure your mesh edge length to set the size.
Absolute mode :
Use Blender's system measurement. If you want to keep your objects same size, you may use absolute mode.
- You can use Alt + mouse wheel scroll to enlarge the grid plane. The grid plane can be larger than the face. When you want to add new mesh on top of selected face, you always want to Alt-scroll to enlarge the plane before drawing.
4. You can change the grid alignment. Ctrl + Left click an edge, it will align whole grid plane to the edge.
By default, the tool measure the face and orient the plane using longest edge of your face. You can override this by above method.
5. Now you can draw on the grids. During drawing, you can change the grid scale anytime (Ctrl + Scroll wheel), and you can change the alignment too.
6. On the left bottom of the screen, there are some hints for your convenience.
7. If you want to Copy / Paste / Delete your shape, you may enter "Selection mode". You can switch to selection mode by Right Click mouse button once. (right click again to back to normal mode)
In Selection mode, you can drag and draw a yellow rectangle to select shapes. You can select multiple shapes.
You can delete them by pressing Delete key.
You can duplicate the shape by select it, then press D key.
Also you can press Ctrl + C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste, Ctrl X to cut. You can paste it many times.
When you have selected shapes, you can press G key to move it, R key to rotate it, and press M or N key to flip it.
You can press B key to bevel the shape. Select shapes and press B, then move your mouse cursor to adjust. Scrolling the mouse wheel to increase bevel cut.
8. After all, you can Right Click again to leave selection mode, and go back to normal mode. You can continue and draw again.
9. When you finish, you can commit operation by pressing 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 key on the top of keyboard.
They represent different operations :
1 : Cut the face and fill by n-gon
2 : Cut the face and fill by triangles
3 : Create a new face from shape
4 : Boolean subtract cut
5 : Boolean slice
You can still change the operation after commit. (by the blender's menu, left bottom of the screen)
10. When you draw, you can use Circle tool to draw Circle / Triangle / Square / Pentagon / Hexagon, or any edge-shape.
Press C key to activate, press C again to deactivate.
Shift + Mouse Wheel to change the number of circle edges. (turn to 3 edges will become a triangle)
1. Absolute size mode is very useful and recommended. It keep the same grid size, across any face, any objects. It can make whole scene very cool and clean.
2. Boolean Cut mode, work well on the borders, and it is fun and great. If it does not cut correctly, you may try to align the grid to that border edge (Ctrl + Click)
If the Boolean fail (it does not cut anything), you should adjust the "offset" parameter, to make the faces of the geometry not overlapping. (blender's boolean limitation)
Also, if the face's normal is flipped (incorrect normal), you may need to fix the mesh normals first.
3. You may select multiple faces (with same normal, co-planar) and use this tool. You can draw across multiple n-gons, it works great.
- Only standard mouse and keyboard are supported.
I only tested with standard mouse and keyboard. This addon does not officially support other device (eg: wacom tablet, 3d-mouse, vr glove, etc) yet.
Therefore, it may not work with your special hardware. I didn't test them.
Please reconsider before buying it, thank you.
Download and Install
After purchase, you can download the zip file.
I uploaded two versions of Grid Modeler (one is latest, one is older), please install the latest file. The older file is for emergency only (if the latest one has critical bug).
Open Blender's Edit > Preference > Add-ons, then click install on the top of dialog.
Select the zip file to install. (Do not unzip it, the zip file has to be installed as a whole)
When I release new update, I will announce it on Twitter.
Please come back here and download it. Before update please uninstall the old one in blender and remove it completely. Then install the new zip file again. If there is any problem, you may contact me by email or Twitter.
Contacts and Support
Thank you for visiting! Hope you enjoy it.
If you like this product, please buy it to support my development.
I am interested in making different kinds of blender's addon, I enjoy it so much :)
* You only need to purchase once, and you can download updates for free !
You can use this addon for personal or commercial works.
Alternatively you can buy it on Blender Market:
Please contact me by email for problems and bug report:
Email : email@example.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/kushirosea
Instagram : kushirocg
For more information and documentation, please visit my website:
My youtube channel (contains videos of Grid Modeler)
You will get the addon zip file. Please install the latest version zip file. One-time purchase, free update.
- You will get the addon zip file. Please install the latest version zip file. One-time purchase, free update.
- Size229 KB